Settings screen (bright theme / night mode)
These are the application main settings (apart from Star Chart settings). This module also provides a direct access to object databases (Figure 5).
Night mode (on/off) - switching between day/night mode
Geographic location screen (bright / dark theme)
Setting the coordinates of observation place (Figure 6).
Observation place will be immediately recognized throughout the app by one of the nearest cities from the major world cities database (if the place is less than 20 km away from the city) or by closest user defined location (if less than 5 km away).
- EnableAutoLocation. Enable/Disable auto location by GPS, network etc. If you want to use GPS as a location provider turn it on first. The program uses the best provider available at the moment (e.g. GPS if it is turned on, network if GPS is turned off). It queries current location provider once an hour. If no fix is available the last known location for the current provider is used
- Manual coordinate setting.
- Latitude. Use the following format when setting latitude: ''N34 10 01'' or ''S34 10 01''. N/S stands for North/South latitude. The value is 34 degrees 10 minutes 1 second. Minutes and/or seconds could be omitted
- Longitude. Use the following format when setting longitude: ''W118 10 01'' or ''E118 10 01''. W/E stands for Western/Eastern longitude. The value is 118 degrees 10 minutes 1 second. Minutes and/or seconds could be omitted
- Add location. Add current location to user list
- List. Select current location from user list. Export/import locations from/to the list
- Major World Cities. Select location from 24 000 major world cities
- Telescopes Database. Select an instrument for observations
- Eyepieces Database. Select eyepieces for observations
- GoToMount Setup. Paired device and telescope type selection (Meade/Celestron). You need to turn on bluetooth first
See Object Databases
- Automatic nightmode. When selected the program automatically turns on night mode after civil twilight ends
- Minimal brightness mode. Where possible screen brightness is set to minimum
- Day Time full screen mode. Android notification bar removed in day mode
- Night Time full screen mode. Android notification bar removed in night mode
- Main Screen Background Image. Show Sombrero image on initial view
- Onyx skin. Set white on black color interface throughout the application
- Disable auto sleep in Star Chart mode. Screen turning off is disabled in Star Chart, thus ignoring Android default settings of energy-saving
- Disable Night keyboard. If selected android default keyboard is used in nightmode. This may negatively affect night vision
- Auto-dismiss Warning. Set a period after which application warning and information messages will be closed
- Auto update comet elements. The app suggests to update comet database when new orbital elements are available on ''www.minorplanetcenter.net''. In the dialog you could press Cancel to postpone update till the next orbital elements become available or Hide to turn the notification off. To turn the notification on just activate this item again
This allows to download/redownload application databases (expansion pack and patch). Expansion pack and patch are usually downloaded automatically when application is installed. You need to download them only if there is a warning at the start of application that the expansion pack or patch is missing. Download is permitted via Wi-Fi connection only due to large file size. Start download by long-touching the Expansion pack title.
Before installation please make sure that you have at least 2 GB for Pro Edition, 540 MB for Plus Edition and 100 MB for Basic Edition of free space on your internal SD card to download application databases! (Note: due to Google Play rules this data cannot be moved to your external SD card - you must have all this space on your internal SD card!). If you redownload expansion pack or patch (they had been downloaded already) no additional free space is required - the application will automatically remove the old files.
This reinstalls application databases (expansion pack and patch).
Backup and restore of application user databases (object databases, observation lists, instruments, notes, locations, advanced search requests) to SD card /DSOPlanner/backup folder. This may be needed if you would like to use the same databases on another device. Please note that when restoring the databases all existing user databases will be removed and replaced by the databases from the backup. To be on the safe side, we recommend to backup the most critical information into the text format as well (Import/Export).
This section contains brief information about application and licensing rights.